JON BOROWICZ MEMORIAL STUDENT MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION
This annual competition, named in honor of the Vermont Philharmonic's founder, provides a scholarship grant and an exciting opportunity to perform as soloist with the orchestra.
The Vermont Philharmonic is proud to present the winner of the 2022 Jon Borowicz Memorial Student Music Scholarship Winner is
Laura Zhou-Hackett is a senior at Burlington High School, and is currently studying piano with Paul Orgel. She has also studied with Lilly Ramsey and Barbara Williams. She has enjoyed participating in musical activities such as Vermont Youth Orchestra, the St. Paul's Cathedral Young Artist Recital, and the Vermont All-State Music Festival. She also plays piano for the Faith United Methodist Church in South Burlington. This past summer, Laura attended the three-week Traditional Session at the Adamant Music School. In her free time, Laura enjoys reading, going on walks, and listening to Vermont Public Classical.Laura will be the featured soloist a the Vermont Philharmonic's Winter Concerts, February 11 & 12, 2023.
JON BOROWICZ MEMORIAL MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP
REQUIREMENTS OF THE SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION
1. Applicant must be a high school student, a Vermont resident or a resident living in close proximity to the Vermont border. The student must be participating in music activities in Vermont or in bordering towns, and may not be a former winner of the competition.
2. Applicant must audition for the judges at the Barre Opera House on Saturday, December 3, 2022, at the assigned time. (Please note the date was changed due to scheduling conflicts at the Barre Opera House.)
3. Applicant shall prepare three pieces, of which at least one shall be a movement of a concerto or orchestral work with soloist, suitable for performance with a symphony orchestra. He/she shall be asked to perform at least two of the pieces, one to be chosen by the applicant and one or more by the judges. At least one piece should be played from memory. If students are auditioning with a prepared concerto, two of the movements can be used for two of the three piece requirement. Students are encouraged to contact the Music Director regarding their audition selections.
4. Applicant must provide accompanist and, for the judges, three copies of the selections to be played.
5. To qualify for the $500 award, the winner must appear as soloist with the Vermont Philharmonic at their winter concerts in February, 2023. The award shall be used to further the music education of the winner.
6. The judges reserve the right to award the full scholarship, to award only the monetary portion with no performance privilege or to make no award, if in their judgment, there is no adequately qualified candidate. The judges’ decision will be final. The Vermont Philharmonic reserves the right to cancel the competition if there is an insufficient number of applicants necessary to conduct a competitive audition and not award the scholarship that year.
7. Late applications may not be considered for an audition.
8. Questions should be directed to Marta Cambra at 802-229-9218 or 802-233-5919.
9. Application must be submitted no later than November 5, 2022 to:
Marta Cambra (email@example.com) or mailed to 1388 Crosstown Road Berlin, VT 05602