JON BOROWICZ MEMORIAL
STUDENT MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION
JON BOROWICZ MEMORIAL
This annual competition, named in honor of the Vermont Philharmonic's founder, provides a scholarship grant and an exciting opportunity to perform as soloist with the orchestra.
1. Applicant must be a high school student, a Vermont resident or a resident living in close proximity to the Vermont border. The student must be participating in music activities in Vermont or in bordering towns, and may not be a former winner of the competition.
2. Applicant must audition for the judges at the Barre Opera House on Sunday, November 17, 2019, at the assigned time.
3. Applicant shall prepare three pieces, of which at least one shall be a movement of a concerto or orchestral work with soloist, suitable for performance with a symphony orchestra. He/she shall be asked to perform at least two of the pieces, one to be chosen by the applicant and one or more by the judges. At least one piece should be played from memory. If students are auditioning with a prepared concerto, two of the movements can be used for two of the three piece requirement. Students are encouraged to contact the Music Director regarding their audition selections.
4. Applicant must provide accompanist and, for the judges, three copies of the selections to be played.
5. To qualify for the $500 award, the winner must appear as soloist with the Vermont Philharmonic at their winter concerts on February 15 & 16, 2020. The award shall be used to further the music education of the winner.
6. The judges reserve the right to award the full scholarship, to award only the monetary portion with no performance privilege or to make no award, if in their judgment, there is no adequately qualified candidate. The judges’ decision will be final. The Vermont Philharmonic reserves the right to cancel the competition if there is an insufficient number of applicants necessary to conduct a competitive audition and not award the scholarship that year.
7. Late applications may not be considered for an audition.
8. Questions should be directed to Marta Cambra at 229-9218 or via e-mail: email@example.com.
9. Application must be submitted no later than November 2, 2019 to:
1388 Crosstown Road
Berlin, VT 05602